10 Aug FEW LESSONS FROM THE MOVIE “HALSTON”
Over the weekend, I watched the movie of one of my favorite American designers; Halston and a few things stood out and that is the importance of having the following:
- An aesthetic that is strong, identifiable and respected.
- Brand extensions are necessary.
- An entry point is crucial (No matter where you are as a designer; established or beginning).
Licensing is where the millions is for brands; it is how you scale. However, you cannot even get there if you do not have a strong aesthetic that others want to be associated with. It is not possible to:
- Be global without a strong aesthetic.
- Have global recognition without a brand aesthetic.
- Have opportunities as a designer without a visible aesthetic.
First, the aesthetic needs to be strongly developed. Then it needs to have a hero product. It also needs to be commercially wearable.